When you wake up, for one, you are already dehydrated and it is important to begin the day by drinking something to get all of your functions working together again. It can help you to feel more alert and will start your day off right, and making the slight change of starting the day with warm water and lemon juice instead of just regular water has many more benefits than you might realize:
1. Cleans the system. Lemon juice will help to detox the body and flush out unwanted toxins from the body. It will help aid in digestion by working with your body and helping your liver work overtime to help your body be cleansed. Lemons help the body to relieve indigestion and stomach troubles. In addition, it also encourages urination which also helps your body to flush out toxins.
2. Clears the skin. Lemons have a high amount of Vitamin C (along with a lot of other antioxidants) that will help to clear up your skin and keep you looking youthful. Lemons are also good for reducing bacteria that can cause acne. And since it helps to remove toxins from the body, it will help clear up your blood that might make your skin blemish and unhealthy. Vitamin C is crucial for a healthy skin glow, and drinking lemon water will help you to achieve that.
3. Boosts immune system. Everyone knows about vitamin C helping one to reduce the chances of catching a cold or the flu, so by drinking lemon water, you are boosting your chances of fighting off any kind of infection that may try and sneak up on you. Lemon helps to balance out many of the vitamins and levels in your body which will make you overall more healthy.
4. Helps with weight loss. By aiding in your digestion and helping to detoxify your body, it helps you to clean out your system. And it’s hard to lose weight if you aren’t able to flush the toxins out of your body. In addition, lemon juice is great after a workout as it will help restore sodium and levels in your body afterword. It also contains pectin fiber, which helps to stave off hunger cravings.
5. Helps to start your day out right. If you begin your day by making a consciously healthy decision, then it’s likely you will make better choices throughout the day to improve your health. In addition, some people report that if they drink lemon water first thing, they have less desire for their morning caffeine and end up consuming less coffee as they feel more refreshed and awake after.
However you cut it, lemon water is highly beneficial to your body and your system and is worth starting your day with. At the very least, you should give it a try for a few days and see if it helps you before deciding on whether or not to continue with it or not.
How to make it: you should be using warm water, not hot and not icy. Warm water is the easiest for your body to digest and should be what you drink in the morning. The amount of lemon is different depending on preference, but in general you should use a half a lemon up to an entire lemon.