Black soap is a beauty product that has been getting an increasing cult following. But many people don’t know what it is, or how to use it effectively. Black soap is made from cocoa pod ashes, plantain skin ashes, and palm oil that is then processed together. Other plants and trees can be used as well, depending on the brand and type of soap bought.
How to use:
It comes in a large bar, but it isn’t meant to be used like any regular bath soap that you stick on the side of the tub. You break off a piece of the soap that you want to use for the bath, and then you can shape it into a mini-bar, or as is, and wash using that piece.
Why to use it:
- Deep cleaning of skin
- Works on most skin types including sensitive, dry, and oily
- Relieves acne and many other skin problems
- Removes makeup and is used as an astringent
- Helps to guard against aging and wrinkles
- Can even be used as a shampoo
- Clears up all impurities in your skin
- Helps with acne on your body as well
- Relieves tight, itchy skin
- Helps with eczema
- It does not clear existing acne. So if you buy it in order to clear up acne already in place, it won’t have much effect, but it helps to prevent new acne and blemishes from appearing.
- You might go through a period where your skin gets worse before it gets better. It’s a period where the soap is purifying your skin and clearing up the impurities. It normally only lasts a week or so, but if this happens, you shouldn’t stop using it because it will improve.
- It can make your skin raw if used incorrectly. With regular soap you can use a loofah to scrub it in, but with black soap it will end up making your skin raw if you do this, so be much more gentle.
- Not for everyday use. Since it is like a skin peel every time you use it, using it regularly could lead to over-exfoliation, especially if you have sensitive skin. It’s only recommended to use 2-4 times a week. However, if you have oily skin, it can be used daily, as long as you are sure to not scrub harshly.
How to store:
Black soap can easily dissolve, so you have to be sure that you don’t just leave it to get wet and melt away. Store it somewhere dry and cool so that it won’t lose it’s shape until you’re ready to use it. If you want to keep it in the bathroom, it’s recommended that you put it in a sealed plastic bag in order to keep the moisture from getting to it. Please note that if exposed to air, the soap may develop a white film on it, and this is more or less completely normal and won’t effect the soap at all.