Do you enjoy being social? Do you love having a nice glass of wine in order to unwind? Perhaps you’ve been told you’re very wild when you’ve had a few drinks in you. Or maybe you’ve had crazy wild nights you don’t even remember the next day. While it’s may be fun to be a party girl, it’s not a great label or image to be an alcoholic. Here are some ways to tell the difference between the two.
- You find your professional and personal life suffering. Do you feel you can’t function without a drink before breakfast? Or perhaps you find yourself too worn out to go to work because of that massive hangover you’re nursing. If you can’t find yourself being acting responsible enough for your job or personal obligations you may be facing a drinking problem.
- You find yourself to be more worried about what type of drinks will be at the party rather than who will be at the party. As long as there is alcohol, you feel at ease. Without it, you feel tense and insecure. While alcoholic beverages are great way to loosen up, they shouldn’t be the key factor to your confidence. Using alcohol as an escape route is definitely a red flag and should be taken seriously.
- You’re probably a party girl if you enjoy having a good time, with or without the accompaniment of alcohol. If you are a girl who can have a good time in any situation, then you’re probably just a fun-loving spirit who just wants to have a good time. If you can distinguish between social time and work time with ease then you have a good head on your shoulders.
- Blackouts are common with you. Let’s say you head to a party and begin pounding the shots down with ease but that’s about all you remember. You wake up the next day somehow in your bed but you have no recollection how you got there. It’s definitely not healthy and a major problem if you need all your parties recounted to you by your friends. Your friends bring it up but you just tell them you’re having fun rather than acknowledging that you may have the beginning habits of an alcoholic.
- Your close friends are now avoiding you. It seems the more partying you do, the less your friends want to have anything to do with you. This isn’t a coincidence. Your friends realize that you have a problem and some may have tried to help you in the past but now see you can’t recognize how big of a problem you really have. Also some friends may not want to deal with their sloppy friend when they just want to have a good time.
A party girl doesn’t need alcohol to have a great time like an alcoholic does. If you find yourself becoming dependent on alcohol in order to really enjoy yourself, you may have an intoxication issue. Don’t wait till it’s too late. If you know deep down you have a problem, ask for help from friends and family, with their support you can overcome alcoholism.