The History of Waist Beads
Waist beads are also referred to as belly beads and they originate from Africa. They were not only worn for decorative purposes there was a significiant meaning being them.
- Growth & Maturity: Traditionally mothers adornered their girls with waist beads at the beginning of their menstruation to initiate them into womanhood. Young girls looked forward to wearing waist beads, not only because they demonstrated their new found status as a woman but they also relished in the idea of being set apart from men.
- Sex Appeal: Waist beads were worn to honor the fact that a woman was sexually active and available for her husband. The rattle of the beads were used to provoke desire and seduce their husbands. The sound of the beads was also used as a way of communicating fertility during the month. Yoruba and Senagelese woman increased their appeal by perfuming the beads and gently clicking the strands.
- Body Shaping: Waist beads were used to shape the body and to warn them of weight gain or if they had conceived. Weight loss is indicated by the beads rolling lower on the waist and weight gain is indicated by the beads becoming moving higher or becoming tigher on the waist.
Waist Beads for Weight Control
When using waist beads for weight control there are certain things key points you should keep in mind.
Wear Them Properly
Waist beads look good when worn around the hips; however, that is the wrong position if you want to monitor your weight. To keep track of your weight, place the beads around your stomach.
Know What to Eat
You will feel heavier on some days because of what you are eating. Therefore, it’s important that you are consistent in eating the right foods so that you can effectively monitor your weight. You should eat water based foods that will flush out your kidneys and help you go to the bathroom more often. Here are is a list of some of the foods you should eat.
- Watermelon: Made from 90 percent water providing the essential fluids required by the body to flush the kidneys. The other 10 percent is fiber which purges built up food in the intestines which reduces toxic stressors. Watermelon is a diuretic which encourages urine flow which removes any toxins present in the kidneys. It is high in potassium which breaks down kidney stones. Watermelon also lowers blood pressure which is an important element of having healthy kidneys.
- Celery: Celery is high in potassium and sodium, it is also a diuretic. You can make a very effective kidney cleansing remedy with celery.
- 2 celery ribs
- ½ a cup of fresh parsley
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- Chop the ingredients up and blend them.
- Drink the juice a minimum of once per day for three weeks for the most effective results.
- Parsley: Another water based food that assists in flushing the kidneys, a great remedy is parsley tea:
- 1 tablespoon of crushed parsley
- 1 cup of boiling hot water
- Boil the water and pour it into a cup.
- Add the crushed parsley to the water.
- Cover and steep for 8 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into another cup.
- Drink 2 cups per day for a kidney cleanse.
You should refrain from eating salty foods because they cause you to put on water weight, this is stored water that isn’t excreted from the body. The condition is called edema, it is also known as fluid retention and one of the side effects is inflammation. The condition is temporary and is a result of overindulging in foods and drinks that are high in salt. Although water retention isn’t serious, if you are trying to control your weight you will look and feel heavier which will cause the waist beads to feel uncomfortable. The good news is that losing water weight is one of the easiest things that you can do. Here are some of the foods you should avoid:
- Processed meat
- Frozen meals
- Canned foods
- Packaged snacks
- Breakfast cereals
- Vegetable juice
- Spagetti sauce
- Bread and tortillas
- Dairy products
If you are guilty of eating these foods and your beads are squeezing the life out of your stomach, here is how you can quickly lose the water weight:
- Drink loads of water: Being well hydrated will reduce water retention, you should aim to drink 8 full glasses per day.
- Cut out carbs: A low carb diet will lead to reduced insulin levels which leads to less water and sodium in the kidneys.
- Magnesium supplements: Magnesuium assists in controlling the bodies water balance.
- Get more sleep: Your sleep patterns have an effect on the kidneys sympathetic renal nerves which regulates water balance and sodium in the kidneys. If you don’t get enough sleep you limit the sympathetic renal nerves ability to do its job.
In case you had some strange idea that waist beads are some magic amulet to help you lose weight I am assuming you have got a clear message that this is certainly not the case. As I have been shouting from the rooftops for the last 5 years, there is no quick route to permanent weight loss. All quick fixes result in you putting on more weight than you lost. Waist beads will help you to control your weight because when they are strangelling your stomach so much that you cant breath you realize that its time to hit the treadmill and change your diet. However, you can avoid this agony by doing what I do and make healthy eating and diet a lifestyle.